Wednesday, October 30, 2013
Candy Corn—Friend or Foe?
Happy National Candy Corn Day!
Whether you find it terrifyingly gross or totally tasty, candy corn season is upon us and there’s quite the heated debate over this little triangled gob of goo. There seems to be no middle ground here—candy corn is either loved or loathed, but no matter what corner of this sugared kernel you stand in, there’s one truth that stays constant year after year—we wouldn’t have Halloween without it.
This unassuming tri-colored tidbit has been voted the Most Traditional Candy of Halloween Least Loved by Consumers. However, the National Confectioners Association reports that 35 million pounds are produced annually. That’s 9 billion pieces. So…someone’s got to be eating it, right?
Made primarily from sugar, corn syrup, wax, artificial coloring and binders, you either savor this happy-colored, sugary corn confection, or pass it by on your way to the Reese’s.
So, which side of the debate do you stand on? Do you happily graze on these sugary kernels, savoring the quintessential taste of all things fall, or do you equate it more with drinking a bottle of Karo syrup and eating a candle, exclaiming, “Fall doesn’t want to taste like that!”
Posted by American Greetings on October 30, 2013
Monday, October 28, 2013
Do you <3 Halloween?
Posted by American Greetings on October 28, 2013
Sunday, October 27, 2013
Happy Cranky Coworkers Day
We can’t take credit for this one, folks! This annual holiday was created by Ruth and Thomas Roy of Wellcat Hollidays in Lebanon, PA in honor of all the complaining and just plain cranky co-workers you have to endure all year–this is the day to let them go with it and enjoy their miseries.
So, if the lady next to you is always cursing up a storm or the guy in cubicle B is always banging his head on the keyboard, here’s your chance to let loose and get in the action and stir up some crankiness of your own:
- Turn that smile upside-down and sign all your emails with an unhappy face.
- Turn your phone volume up all the way; when you get a call, let it ring ‘til it goes to voicemail.
- Don’t clean out the microwave after you use it; better yet—burn some popcorn.
- Affix a Post-It on stray items reading, “This is in the way,” or place cleaning products on a communal lunch table with the tag, “Someone…Please clean up this messy lunch table!”
- Play Bobby McFerrin’s hit song “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” over and over and over again!
All kidding aside, our vote is to always kill ‘em with kindness—if you’re up to it, try some reverse psychology and do something nice. Buy some coffee or chocolate and give them to your curmudgeonly coworker. It’s sure to put a smile on their face—even if just for a day.
Good luck out there!
Posted by American Greetings on October 27, 2013
October 21, 2013
Halloween Inspiration Board
What better time than Halloween to send some frightfully fun wishes to your friends and family?
It’s a great way to connect with everyone, and it’s also a fun way to let someone know you’re thinking of them.
Our collection of Halloween ecards at americangreetings.com offers everything from an interactive and entertaining peek into a mystical forest, to hauntingly happy wishes that you can send and share via email, facebook, and mobile. So, go ahead and send and share a scare—we DARE YOU!
Posted by American Greetings on October 21, 2013
October 19, 2013
Happy Sweetest Day!
Posted by American Greetings on October 19, 2013
October 18, 2013
Sweet Friendship Quote
Tomorrow is Sweetest Day! Don’t forget to wish all of your sweet peeps a special day!
Posted by American Greetings on October 18, 2013
October 15, 2013
Posted by American Greetings on October 17, 2013
October 14, 2013
Ways To Make Your Last Minute Boss’s Day Gift Not Look So Last Minute
Gather ‘round, fellow work week warriors–National Boss’s Day is Wednesday, October 16th! We know this day is tough for a lot of office workers who struggle to figure out a good gift for their boss. And since this day tends to creep up on many a worker, we decided to put together some tips to make your last-minute Boss’s Day gift look not so last minute:
- Naturally, we’re going to suggest sending a Boss’s Day ecard, paper card or printable card. You can attach a gift card for a quick, easy way to add a little extra thought into your selection. You’re welcome.
- Take a spin past the water cooler to see if anyone has any brilliant ideas or wants to go in on a gift together. It’ll ease up the budget restraints and maybe someone else has heard them mention something they need. You can even run out at lunch together to power shop.
- Cake. Everyone loves cake, right? Cake, cupcakes, cake pops… You can’t go wrong (as long as there are no dietary restrictions) with a stylish confectionary treat. Create a pretty display (i.e. take them out of the plastic packaging and arrange them on a cute footed platter with a cute ‘Happy Boss’s Day’ sign) and then share with the team!
- Spruce up their space! Office decor items such as picture frames, trendy office supplies, or a lovely plant may be a little on the traditional side, but they help create a more relaxing environment.
- Feed the soul! Find a great local restaurant and take THEM out to lunch! Having facetime with your superiors can not only help grow your professional relationship, but also allow for a more personal connection between the two of you.
- Whatever you select, gift presentation counts! Pretty wrapping paper, ribbon, and a nice card with a personalized message go a long way in making any gift stand out.
- Still stumped? Then forget the boss—buy for their pet! You’ll get kudos for thoughtfulness and thinking outside the box when you show their furbaby some love.
The main thing is, your boss will simply appreciate your recognition that they’re doing a good job, so any nice gesture you offer is sure to be a win-win.
Posted by American Greetings on October 14, 2013
October 14, 2013
Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!
Wishing peace and prosperity for a bountiful harvest to our neighbors to the north!
Posted by American Greetings on October 13, 2013
Saturday, October 5, 2013
World Teachers Day- Inspirational Quote
October 5th serves as World Teachers Day, a day dedicated to appreciating, assessing, and improving the educators of the world. It’s a wonderful reminder to take the time to thank a teacher this week for all that they do year-round to shape the lives and minds of our children.
Posted by American Greetings on October 5, 2013