may 14, 2012
What the heck do I write in this birthday card?
Celebrating a birthday is special, and sending a greeting card is the perfect way to add your wishes to the day. But once you’ve picked out the card, it’s nice to include your own personal message, too. You don’t need to be long—just sincere! So get your favorite pen ready—why not pick out colored ink for a fun touch?—and get writing!
First, consider how close your relationship is. If it’s a family member or dear friend, and you know what they have planned for their birthday, you can add a special wish such as “I hope your celebration gives you many happy memories to treasure always!” However, you can also write heartfelt words that will fit any relationship, and including a compliment is always appreciated. For example, “May your birthday be as special as you are!” or, “Wishing you all the happiness someone as nice as you deserves!”
For an added touch of thoughtfulness, include a quotation. There are many great quotation sites, or you can select one from a favorite book. Here are some that we especially like:
- Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others can not keep it from themselves. -Sir James Barrie
- And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. -Abraham Lincoln
- This is the day the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. -Psalm 118:24
- A friend is, as it were, a second self. -Cicero
- You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. -C.S. Lewis
- We turn not older with years, but newer every day. -Emily Dickinson
- Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! -Henry David Thoreau
- A true friend is someone who knows all about you and likes you just the same. -Elbert Hubbard
- Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together. -Woodrow Wilson
Keep in mind that a warm closing will bring an extra smile for the birthday person. Consider phrases such as Thinking of You, Love Always, Your Friend, or Best Wishes. And, of course, don’t forget to sign your name!